New API Key?

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM

After running fine for about a week, I now get the following message on launch of the program:

Please read the readme.txt and follow the instructions to get an API key.

I'm going to download and check for a readme.txt, but just wanted to make a note that this happened after a week of operation.

Nice app, though.

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Just downloaded the app again, and there isn't a readme.txt file with it.

Extracted the contents of the Setup.msi, and found the following line in the WallpaperFlickrSettings.xml

<apikey>e771a253347e1cdda688de15eeb292f6</apikey>

Perhaps a new apikey needs to be obtained (from Flickr) by each user, and then we can keep using it?

I suspect there may have been a sudden surge in popularity for this app, and now Flickr's shut down the existing API key.

Good luck to anyone else who's trying to do this, too.

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Hi there - I think this error message is probably eronous. It was the case once that the API key was stored in the config file, but it's not any more - however, this is the first thing that the app tries to read from the config file, so I think your problem is that the config file is inaccessible. Are you able to read the file [user settings path]\WallpaperFlickr\WallpaperFlickrSettings.xml? For me this is located in:

C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\WallpaperFlickr\WallpaperFlickrSettings.xml

If that file cannot be loaded or doesn't exist then I think we've hit upon the problem. If it does exist and you can read it, can you post its contents into this thread?

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:56 AM

Hi Pugwonk, thanks for your reply.  I went looking for the XML file to see if I can find it, and after deleting it, the application ran properly again.  After reading your reply, I pulled a previous version and here it is (or rather, here's what it was):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<settings>
  <lastchange>1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM</lastchange>
  <frequency>1</frequency>
  <interval>hours</interval>
  <tags />
  <apikey />
  <userid />
  <searchorfaves>2</searchorfaves>
  <faveuserid />
  <tagmode>any</tagmode>
  <orderby />
  <position>Centered</position>
  <startwithwin>True</startwithwin>
</settings>

Very different from what I have showing now, of course.  Perhaps a setting change I made at some point caused it to become truncated on a per-line basis?

Thanks again for your help.

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2011 at 11:14 PM

First off, many thanks for the detailed analysis. This is my first Codeplex project - I wish all the users of everything I made were fellow developers!

As far as I can see, the other fields that are empty in your file can be empty, so I think the only red flag is around the apikey. And I have absolutely no idea why it would have written a blank one. In version 1.4 I've modified it such that it never uses the apikey from the file, so I think whatever happened is prevented from happening again. But very strange!

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:52 AM

Oh, I'm no developer.  I'm in IT, so I know how frustrating it can be to get extremely vague "error or something" complaints.  :)

It looks like something attempted a search and replace of some sort, but got lost while doing it, as "<tags> </tags>" became "<tags />"

I hope it's a one-off, and entirely possible it was something particular to my setup.  Working in IT, I throw a LOT of small/odd/hostile apps together in my home system to "see what happens" and often end up with Another Leaning Opportunity.

Thanks again.

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Ah - "<tags />" is actually the same as "<tags></tags>", that's a valid XML abbreviation. (http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml11-20060816/#sec-starttags).