Digital Blasphemy Integration

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I've had a subscription to DigitalBlasphemy for over 10 years and the wallpapers are amazing. The only problem is that I have to go to the site and download each image every time there is a new one. It would be great if we could incorporate this site into the app. I have contacted Ryan, the artist/owner, to see if he plans on creating an API. I'll report back with any news on that or maybe he'd like to comment here :)

If not perhaps there are some other sites similar to his that already have API's that we can build off of? Any suggestions?

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 7:58 PM

He responded back and said he has a feed he uses for some other stuff but it doesn't provide a listing of images by resolution. We would need that in order to get the best quality image. He seems willing to help create a feed for us to use. I'll keep you posted.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Ok I got some more details from Ryan and  I think it will be easy to add in support for his wallpapers.

Are there any other sites like Digital Blasphemy that we can incorporate into the app?

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM
Edited Aug 31, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Wow, they really are great wallpapers. One slight problem might be the 2/3 screens issue (which are the best of his) as we might need to code up something to support that. One way to support particular sets or styles of images might actually be to upload them to Flickr and then hard-code support for certain Flickr users/groups etc... would save dealing with multiple different image sources, which might make the caching etc a bit easier.

Reminds me of a bunch of raytracing I did ages ago but... erm... possibly not a good idea sharing, as it turned out not to be a talent of mine.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM

The DigitalBlasphemy images you need a subscription for (at least the high res versions). He has a free gallery but it doesn't have all of the wallpapers and only has low res versions. I'm pretty sure uploading them to flickr is against his usage policy.

We can always choose not to add it in but I just thought it would be nice to expand the source of where the images come from. I also wouldn't mind setting up a website where users can submit their own wallpaper and our app could use that as another source.